I love the holiday but hate turkey, is that so bad? No matter how the bird has been cooked and prepped, I absolutely cannot stand eating more than a sliver just to keep the chef- for- the- day happy.
So, this year, I am actually involved in the prep work and since most of the participants are as conscious of eaters as I have become in the last 10 plus years, I am going to introduce side dishes which truly offer wholesome nutrition without having to watch the calories.
First up is Shaved Parsnip Salad, which I found here, and which will be the first course.
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 hearts of romaine, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 parsnips (about 8 ounces), peeled and shaved very thinly (on a mandolin or with a vegetable peeler)
- 4 medjool or 6 regular dates, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Whisk together vinegar and oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Toss parsnips, lettuce, and dates. Drizzle with dressing. Season with salt and pepper.